By Joe McCarthy

Franconia, N.H.

1923 REO fire truck

This old REO has been in our family for about 75 Years. It is a 1923 Speedwagon with a Foamite Childs fire apparatus body and a Northern Rotary fire pump. The original owners were the Randolph Vermont fire department. The old photo (below) was sent to us from the current Randolph Village Fire Chief, Jay Collete. This photo was taken in downtown Randolph in the later 1920s or later ’30s. Grandfather Ed Mckenzie purchased the fire truck in the late 1930s. The family owned Mckenzie’s Inn in Franconia, N.H., located in the White Mountains. Ed bought the truck to water the golf course at the Inn. They would put ½ gallon of gas in the truck start it up and leave it, pumping water out of the river. When the truck ran out of gas it would stop watering the golf course. The truck has been stored in a barn ever since and used for parades.



Source link